A patent provides legal ownership of an invention to the inventor. The inventor has all the rights to manufacture, license, sell or export the patented product. However, patenting is a time consuming process which requires a lot of paperwork.
Here is a step by step information about how to get a patent for your invention.
- You can go through the entire process of patent application yourself as the patent office does not require any attorney or agent to represent you. However, it is advisable to hire an experienced patent attorney to guide you through the process. This will help you to concentrate on fine-tuning your innovative product or idea while the attorney takes care of the patenting process.
- The next step is to consider the patent worthiness of your invention. Applying for a patent is a costly process. You need to pay to the patent attorney, patent application fee and maintenance fee. So it is prudent to consider the usefulness and profitability of your invention before, applying for a patent.
- Once you have made sure about the marketability of your invention, the next step is to conduct a patent search. Your invention should be unique and there should be no other patent for similar products. Patent search is a long and costly process. Your attorney can help you in the process.
- After you make sure about the uniqueness of your innovation, the next step is to prepare a patent application. Decide on what type of patent you want for the product and prepare a detailed application. The patent application should include details like detailed description of the features of the product, its scope and usability, detailed description of the invention process, technical drawings and prototype of the product. The application should also include details about similar products which are patented and how your invention is different from them. A patent attorney or a patent agent can help you in drafting the application clearly as they have experience and knowledge of the patenting process.
- After you submit the patent application, your invention will be in the “patent pending” stage. You can start to market the product. You can consult licensing companies to get ideas about marketing and pre-orders for your invention.
These are the steps involved in the process of how to get a patent for your invention. Now that you have a checklist, you can go about the process confidently.